Tips on how to handle conflict
- Remember that individuals can only control themselves.
- Focus on the problem, not the other individual who may disagree.
- Share negative emotions in person or on the phone. Emails, voicemail, and notes are impersonal and risky.
- Avoid assumptions that others know what someone else feels or can see things the way that they do.
- Communicate interests and acknowledge the other person's interests.
University resources for conflict
Departments experiencing workplace conflict can schedule a conflict resolution workshop by contacting Avery Bakeley, Assistant Director, Education, Outreach, and Conflict Resolution at 540-231-0448.
Additionally, Hokie Wellness provides a number of departmental options for conflict management.