Tips on how to handle conflict
- Remember that individuals can only control themselves.
- Focus on the problem, not the other individual who may disagree.
- Share negative emotions in person or on the phone. Emails, voicemail, and notes are impersonal and risky.
- Avoid assumptions that others know what someone else feels or can see things the way that they do.
- Communicate interests and acknowledge the other person's interests.
Professional development workshops for conflict resolution
Departments experiencing workplace conflict can schedule a conflict resolution workshop by contacting Dale Robinson at 540-231-1824.
Several workshops are also available throughout the year through University Organizational and Professional Development.
Conflict Resolution Program
Office for Equity and Accessibility
300 Turner Street NW (0318)
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Assistant Director, Education, Outreach, and Conflict Resolution